Website MICA Steelworks
The Drafter is responsible for detailed working diagrams of structures, machinery, and mechanical devices, including dimensions, fastening methods, and other engineering information.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
This position requires:
- High School or GED required and completion of a drafting program related to AutoCAD, engineering or design
- A minimum of three (3) or more years of experience drafting for a manufacturing plant or facility
- Experience in AutoCAD and/or Inventor software programs
- Strong experience with Microsoft office suite
- Familiarity with standard manufacturing practices
- Prior experience in Steel Industry is a preferred
As a Drafter in the Drafting Department the ideal incumbent possesses the following qualifications:
- Ability to read blueprints
- Strong detailing/checking skills
- Knowledge of AISC standards, ASCE 48, ASCE 113
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, etc.)
- Working knowledge of health, safety, and environmental management system standards
- Strong organization skills
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and be able to perform analytical calculations
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with all levels within the organization
- Ability to work with multiple groups and in a team-oriented environment
- Develops complete and accurate AutoCAD fabrication drawings of steel transmission and utility structures as designed by the Engineering Department
- Lays out and draws schematic, orthographic, or angle views to depict functional relationships of components, assemblies, systems, and machines
- Coordinates with and consults other workers to design, lay out, or detail components and systems and to resolve design or other problems
- Checks dimensions of materials to be used and assign numbers to the materials
- Reviews and analyzes specifications, sketches, drawings, ideas, and related data to assess factors affecting component designs and the procedures and instructions to be followed.
- Creates part numbers for standard and custom parts; and, updates and revises all drawings when changes are made to engineered designs
- Documents all notes, engineering changes, customer requests, etc.
- Modifies and revises designs to correct operating deficiencies or to reduce production problems
- Computes mathematical formulas to develop and design detailed specifications for components or machinery, using computer-assisted equipment
- Positions instructions and comments onto drawings
- Lays out, draws, and reproduces illustrations for reference manuals and technical publications to describe operation and maintenance of mechanical systems
- Designs scale or full-size blueprints of specialty items
- Checks and/or approves alternate drafters’ drawings within the scopes of regulatory and industry standards
- Mathematics – Using mathematics to solve problems, particularly with detailed design drawings and specifications for equipment, structures, dies, tools, and controls.
- Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to re knowledge of drafting principles, practices, methods and techniques.
- Creative Thinking – Generating innovative and creative solutions.
- Interpersonal Skills – Displaying skills to work effectively with others from diverse backgrounds.
- Adaptability and Flexibility – Displaying the capacity to adapt to new, different, or changing requirements.
- Communication – Ability to communicate effectively.
- Teamwork – Working cooperatively with others to complete work assignments.
- Problem Solving and Decision Making – Generating, evaluating, and implementing solutions to problems.
- Attention to Detail – Achieving thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved.
- Technical Skills – Understanding and ability to read blueprints, specs, structural and architectural drawings. Knowledge of standard welding practices and steel shapes and hardware.
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents will be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
The position generally works in an office environment but is expected to become familiar with production operations and to independently visit company locations (3) within DFW as directed. We have a very positive / professional company culture that creates long-term employees.
Step 1: Download and Complete the Application
Step 2: Apply for the Job