Website MICA Steelworks, Inc.
The Material Handler is responsible for storing, moving, handling and distributing materials. They take materials from one location to another and may be involved in the process of extracting and loading the materials to be transported. A materials handler has a very structured work environment to minimize safety risks. Each job is planned in detail and safety issues are addressed before a job begins. Working as a materials handler doesn’t require formal education but does entail extensive on-the-job training. Multiple vacancies are available.
LOCATION: MICA Steelworks – Haltom City, Texas
- High School diploma or equivalent, required.
- Ability to be forklift and overhead crane certified and operate a forklift and overhead crane. (Forklift experience required).
As a Material Handler, for electric utility transmission, substation, and distribution industry, the ideal incumbent possesses the:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English.
- Outstanding work ethic, punctuality, desire to constantly improve skills.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal direction.
- Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail and time management skills.
- Perform daily operations and forklift safety checks, including battery, seat belt, brakes, life control and fire extinguisher.
- Identifies many types of raw material, in process or finished product, equipment, or processing materials.
- Checks identification of materials to be moved. Cross-references with production schedule or shipping schedule to ensure accuracy.
- Proceeds safely to assigned area to pull load and move materials to correct work area.
- Reports inconsistencies or problems to supervisors
- Receive, document, store, stage and issue all job-related material to satisfy production requirements.
- Support assembly / fabrication requirements, as necessary. Overtime is sometimes needed in order to accomplish all required tasks.
- Assist operators in delivering Fabrication parts in order to maximize department efficiency.
- Remove and distribute empty pallets and buckets as needed.
- Select, prepare & update paperwork and schedules both on paper and computer.
- Package, create, and band equipment, parts, materials, products and accessories to minimize damage during shipment or staging and to create a safe work environment.
- Apply labels, stickers, and stencils as required for identification and ease of storage or shipping.
- Comply with all safety requirements including proper use of personal protective equipment and operation of equipment in a safe and competent manner. Understand and meet all departmental safety objectives and goals. Keep assigned work-area clean, organized, and orderly per 5S standards.
- Operate forklifts, cranes, and yard trucks to transport and locate equipment and materials to required areas.
- Maintain accurate inventory, reporting shortages/overages and supply needs to supervisor.
- In the galvanizing department, the position may be responsible for wiring material to rack, loading jigs, and/or kettle operations.
- Analyzing Information
- Dealing with Complexity
- Time Management
- Process Improvement
- Safety Management
- Inventory Control
- Must be dependable, reliable and mature enough to handle equipment safely and sensibly.
- High degree of attention required to prevent injury to others.
The position is a shop floor and yard position. Works primarily outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Exposure to shop elements such as noise, dust, odors and chemicals. Must have good hand eye coordination and motor skills. We have a very positive / professional company culture that creates long-term employees. Work schedule includes: MONDAY – FRIDAY, 5:00 AM – 2:30 PM. Saturday and Sunday work hours may be required on an as needed basis.
Heavy work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Must be able to perform physical activities that require considerable use of arms and legs and moving entire body, such as climbing lifting, blanching, walking tugging, stooping, bending, twisting, crawling and handling of materials. Position requires manual dexterity, ability to pick/pinch and work with fingers, repetitive motions of wrist/hands/finger, arm-hand steadiness and safety-minded individual. Effectively and safely utilize ladders, man-lifts, forklifts, and overhead cranes, etc. Ascend or descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, ramps, poles and the like, using feet and legs and/or hands and arms. Must be able to work in an open environment for long shifts (including weekends) exposed to extreme temperatures, standing entire shift. Must have the ability to concentrate on tasks for long periods of time and be able to observe and receive information from all relevant sources.
The worker is required to have visual acuity to make general observations of facilities or structures.
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents will be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
Download and Complete the Application
Apply for the Job