Website MICA Steelworks, Inc.
The Galvanizing Material Handler supports the galvanizing activities by loading, moving, handling, unloading and distributing materials within the plant. A materials handler has a very structured work environment to minimize safety risks. Each job is planned in detail and safety issues are addressed before a job begins. Working as a materials handler doesn’t require formal education, but does entail extensive on-the-job training. Other requirements might include a commercial driver’s license (CDL).
- High School diploma or GED equivalent, required
- Experience in working in steel industry or galvanizing, plus
- Galvanizing industry experience applying A123/A123M-12 standard specifications for zinc coatings, plus
- Ability to be forklift and overhead crane certified and operate a forklift and overhead crane. (Forklift experience required)
- A strong working knowledge of hand tools and gauges such as impact wrenches, air grinder, drills, tappers, oxygen acetylene torches and mill gauges
- Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy while working in a fast-paced environment with multiple distractions
- Ability to effectively present information to small groups of customers, clients, and other organization employees
As a Material Handler, for electric utility transmission, substation, and distribution industry, the ideal incumbent possesses the:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced manufacturing environment.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English.
- Outstanding work ethic, punctuality, desire to constantly improve skills.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal direction.
- Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail and time management skills.
- Knowledge of specific and general safety policies and procedures as it relates to the plant and the position is preferred
- Perform daily operations and forklift safety checks, including battery, seat belt, brakes, life control and fire extinguisher
- Attaches identification tags to material and/or marks them with pertinent information
- Unloads various types of materials and purchased parts in a safe and timely manner using appropriate equipment and methods
- Load trucks with galvanized materials for delivery to customer
- Hangs/takes down racks of material using specific training methods.
- Carries out general housekeeping duties such as sweeping and picking up discarded materials
- Inspects for sags, runs, drips and bare areas
- Cleans material as specified by customer
- Checks identification of materials to be moved. Cross-references with production schedule or shipping schedule to ensure accuracy.
- Proceeds safely to assigned area to pull load and move materials to correct work area.
- Reports inconsistencies or problems to supervisors
- Receive, document, store, stage and issue all job related material to satisfy production requirements.
- Overtime is sometimes needed in order to accomplish all required tasks.
- Package, create and band equipment, parts, materials, products and accessories to minimize damage during shipment or staging and to create a safe work environment.
- Comply with all safety requirements including proper use of personal protective equipment and operation of equipment in a safe and competent manner. Understand and meet all departmental safety objectives and goals. Keep assigned work-area clean, organized, and orderly per 5S standards.
- Operate forklifts, cranes, and yard trucks to transport and locate equipment and materials to required areas.
- Maintain accurate inventory, reporting shortages/overages and supply needs to supervisor.
- Analyzing Information
- Dealing with Complexity
- Time Management
- Process Improvement
- Safety Management
- Inventory Control
- Must be dependable, reliable and mature enough to handle equipment safely and sensibly.
- High degree of attention required to prevent injury to others.
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents will be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
The position is a shop floor and yard position. Works primarily outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Exposure to shop elements such as noise, dust, odors and chemicals. Must have good hand eye coordination and motor skills. We have a very positive / professional company culture that creates long-term employees.
<strong>Step 1:</strong> Download and Complete the Application
<strong>Step 2:</strong> Apply for the Job