MICA Steelworks is a private company that is a fabricator of quality steel Power Delivery Structures for the electric utility industry. We are searching for a Utilities Cost Estimator position.
As a part of the estimating team, this position’s primary responsibility will be to ensure the completion of accurate and timely quotations and RFP responses for our customers.
- Associate degree or equivalent industry experience
- Two (2) to four (4) years’ of structural steel estimating experience
- Previous experience with EPR systems a plus
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret engineering drawings, plans, specifications and bid documents.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Strong computer skills with particular emphasis on Microsoft Excel, Outlook, Word, and Power Point.
- Be willing to work as part of a tightly integrated team in a fast-paced environment.
The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Reviewing plans and specifications in detail to become completely familiar with the scope of work involved.
- Performing needed takeoffs of the plans to establish benchmarks for later subcontractor and supplier quote comparisons and as an aid in estimating direct labor and material costs.
- Building cost estimates and MICA Steelworks quotes based on updates, pricing, internal material usage estimates and information provided from the customer’s plans and specifications.
- Performing a detailed review of estimation.
- Determine any areas that may require further clarification and submits appropriate Requests for Information (RFI’s).
- Communicate with customers, subcontractors and suppliers all necessary information in order to efficiently assemble accurate bids.
- Update all estimates for Change Orders and maintains supporting records of all changes.
- Monitors and pro-actively manages the timely return of subcontractor and supplier bids.
- Assembles all pricing and written RFP response information into clear, customer-friendly format.
- Basic Accounting Skills
- Cost Estimating
- Cost Planning
- Communication Skills
- Computer and Information Technology
- Documentation (Bills of Quantities)
- Evaluation of Bid Proposals
- General Procurement
- Interpersonal Skills
The position generally works in an office environment, but is expected to become familiar with production operations.
CONTINUING EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Employee is expected to participate in appropriate continuing education as may be requested and/or required by their immediate supervisor. In addition, employee is expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job-related skills and abilities. Employee must attend mandatory education programs.