Website MICA Steelworks, Inc.
Under the direction of the Production Supervisor, the Fitter position is responsible for fitting and joining, fabricating, and repairing metal and other weldable material. For large or specialized projects, fitters are mainly involved with laying out and assembling subunits or units of materials which are then welded into position by welders. The position is responsible for ensuring the product is fit and welded to the specifications of each job and the outlined requirements consistent with production of quality UT passable welds. The fitters specialize in fitting piping together and has specific experience related to reading blueprints.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or GED, plus 1-2 years’ fitter experience or related field. Equivalent combination of education and experience acceptable. Must possess Overhead and Jib Crane experience
The incumbent must possess:
- Knowledge and understanding of welding symbols and diagrams
- Knowledge of how to use an Overhead and Jib Crane
- Thorough knowledge of welding equipment, including but not limited to, torches, torch tips
- Skill in reading blueprints, and/or other printed instructional material in the welding of products or parts of welding symbols
- Ability to work in extreme temperatures (sometimes due to season)
- Ability to report to work as scheduled and maintain good attendance
- Ability to work 1st or 2nd Shift, as needed
- Ability to work overtime, as needed
- Positive, willingness to learn and participate in a changing environment to reach a common goal.
- Relies on experience and judgement to plan and accomplish goals
- Pole work experience preferred
- Ability to perform fitting and joining, fabricating, and repairing metal and other weldable material.
- Ability to perform sets-up, including laying out work using jigs/fixtures or hand layouts to fabricate parts and/or rework finished products
- Ability to perform fabrication or welding of multi-component parts
- Ability to cross-train and perform the work of other job tasks, in addition to the primary assigned position.
- Ability to operate hoists, hand power tools, slings, grinders, cutting torch, and other hand tools related to the job’s needs
- Ability to maintain functionality of equipment and notifies management and/or maintenance department of needed repairs.
- Ability to operate equipment safely and utilize appropriate safety habits.
- Ability to perform other tasks, as required.
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents will be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
MEASURE OF PERFORMANCE
- Follow all MICA Steelworks Safety Programs/Policies
- Practice good housekeeping (keep area clean/organized)
- Demonstrate willingness to work with others in a team environment.
- Full time shop exposure.
- Extreme temperatures (Sometimes due to season)
- Travel between plants twenty percent of the time
- Perform work standing up for 8-10 hours per day and up to 6 days a week
- Good vision, hearing, smell and balance
- Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 75 lbs.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, squat or kneel regularly
- Must wear OSHA required PPE equipment while working, including OSHA approved welding hood, if welding
Download and Complete the Application
Apply for the Job